I’ve been experimenting with different Bible study methods with my Happy Planner. I absolutely LOVE recording my study in boxes. It’s how I learn and teach. I have been making slide show presentations for 30 years. No wonder I gravitate toward bullet list and summaries in boxes!
Click on the image to see a larger view.
There are so many different ways to study and journal. Some of the ideas are from Learn to Study the Bible 40 Methods by Andy Dean. I started by using the Alphabet Method. Click the image for a larger view.
In the sample below I put a condensed summary in the first box, cross references in several, a commentary and my final thoughts (each needed two boxes combined). This sample use the Orinda Planner Sticker kit.
Bible Journal Planner Kit
Here is a sample using another planner sticker kit.
Numbers 22-24 Video
This is a video on Numbers 22 and 23 by Tom Bradford, my pastor. You can watch videos going chronologically through the Bible approximately one chapter at a time at Torahclass.com.
Part 1. Study and Take Notes.
- Pray and Read a passage of Scripture three times. Take notes.
- Watch a video. I do a search on the topic at TorahClass.com (my church)
- Use the worksheets to take notes. As I study I add anything that helps me understand the passage. Here is a ABC list:
- A – A Title. Think of a title identifying the main theme.
- B – Best Verse. Write your favorite verse from the passage in a margin strip.
- B – Best Quotes. Quotes from books and web sites.
- C – Cross-reference. I added space for several cross references. I found a great site to help you.See Cross Reference Search.
- C -Condensed Summary. I like adding a few words about the passage, almost an intro.
- C – Commentary. I use Logos Software but there are many free commentaries online.
- D – Definitions of Key Words
- D – Difficulties List any verse reference and the question you have about its meaning. Research until you find the answers. (Try asking on our Facebook group).
- E – Essentials Outline or summarize the most important points of the passage.
- F – Final thoughts. What do you feel God has been speaking to you? How can you apply what you learned?
I also add notes, quotes and anything that helps me understand the passage.
Part 2. Fill in the Planner
- Place the planner stickers (see stickers here).
- Frame with Washi Tape
- Add the “A Title” (fancy lettering or type using fancy font, print and cut out title)
B-Best verse” margin strip. I made this margin strip (typing on computer print on stickers) ALSO FITS IN MY WIDE MARGIN BIBLE! See tutorial here.
- Add the text boxes.( (typing on computer print on stickers or write by hand)
- Share on our Facebook Group
I made this image to explain Bible Journaling in a Planner. (Would love it if you would Pin it!)
Subscribe for 65 pages from The Heart Wisdom Teaching Approach (pdf)